Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanksgiving list

We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving in Singapore (and the whole notion of Thanksgiving is a bit strange to me anyway: I hear it has something to do with settlers coming in, having a meal with natives and then something bad happens and many people are dead. Why...is this a celebration?) but I do like the idea of setting aside a special day to count your blessings so here goes my belated Thanksgiving thankful list post: (Apologies for ridiculously long sentence.)

1. I’m thankful for this job. Because this job allows me to

2. Travel. I never had money or time to travel in the previous job and believe you me, I’m never going back to that life again.

3. Have someone I want to see the world with. This is invaluable. And it helps that we share a similar quest for adventure and exploration over shopping or...something. Also helps that we both like alcohol, possibly too much.

4. I’m thankful my health, without which I could not do the above and without which I could not do

5. Yoga. Because yoga has not just made me stronger physically, but has taught me how to stay calm and focused even if you’re sweating buckets and your muscles are screaming trying to hold your body upright while in an impossible pose. This helps you breathe when the world gets crazy, as it so often does.


6. I’m thankful for my family, and even if I want to murder them sometimes, I’m grateful they’re there because I know the world would be a lot darker if they were not.


7. I’m thankful for my mother, who has the most love to give in the world and who taught me what strength really is and where it comes from, which is from

8. God. I don’t care if people reading this believe in Him or not, but I do, and being brought up in a Catholic family has given me both a moral compass and a heaping guilt complex in equal measure. It’s trying to have both at times, but it has also helped a lot and I'm thankful for that.

9. I’m thankful for all my friends. All of them. And I’m thankful that so many of them live either here or at least in the same timezone. Each of them play a different part in my life, some of them mostly online and others mostly in real life, and I couldn’t have come this far or fathom a future without any one of them. It’s just not possible. My friends have become my family; I’m fiercely loyal to them and I’m happy knowing that most of them feel the same way about me.

10. Lastly, I’m thankful for this little one, who always has a hug, a kiss and a “GODMA!” for me everytime I see her. Without her, familytime would be a tedious dance routine over eggshells, and it is she who brings so much light and laughter into this household.




It’s a terribly long list, I know, and I still have more to be thankful for. But I will stop here, these being the most important of them all.

BE WELL.

Gratefulpanty



Ps/ No particular order.

Pps/ I don’t really know the origins of Thanksgiving (the bit about people dying) and can’t seem to find it on wiki but I know it’s there. Does someone know the real story and can tell me about it?

No comments: