Monday, November 07, 2011

Siri, the personal assistant to help you pick up girls.

I couldn't make this shit up even if I tried.

I was out with some of the Bloomberg folk for drinks at Far East Square on Friday night when a random guy comes up to the group. He pointed to one of the guys in our circle and said something along the lines of "How did you get to be so geek chic?"

I thought he was one of the Bloomberg people (there were several there I didn't know) and didn't think much about it. People entertained him about this "geek chic" topic for awhile then went back to their conversations, leaving him talking to only me.

I had my 4s out at the time and he goes:

RandomGuy: Oh, is that the new iPhone? The one with the Siri?
Me: Yep.
RandomGuy: Oh, can I see it? *Proceeds to turn Siri on* Siri, what is your owner's name?
Siri: Sorry, I do not understand "what is your owner's name". (I hadn't told Siri what my name was yet at the time.)

I exchange a "wtf?" look with R, one of our friends, but dismiss it.

RandomGuy: Oh, haha, what's your name, anyway?
Me: Angeline.
RandomGuy: Siri, is your owner free tomorrow?

Siri proceeds to pull up my appointments for the next day. He sees that I have a relatively busy day and then goes:

RandomGuy: Siri, is your owner free on Sunday then?

Siri shows him that I have The National concert on.

RandomGuy: Siri, what is The National concert, and can your owner not go to it?

RandomGuy shoots me a little bit of a smile. Siri pulls up information about The National concert, but nothing else.

RandomGuy: Siri, what is your owner's phone number?

What? I shoot another look at R who is by now looking on with a "is this guy serious?" look on his face.

Siri doesn't understand what he means by "your owner's phone number". I fall in love with Siri just a little bit.

RandomGuy: Siri, does your owner have a boyfriend?

This time R and I turn and point to Mindy, who was standing beside RandomGuy but was absorbed in a different conversation.

RandomGuy: Siri, I'm about to get my ass kicked right now, aren't I?

Ookay, what? Thankfully, RandomGuy returned the phone after that, shook Mindy's hand and went off. But seriously? Using Siri? DUDE YOU THINK YOU SO COOL?

Facepalm.

No comments: