Thursday, November 10, 2011

NiceSmelling PantryLady is ObviousStatementsLady but only because we don't speak the same language

I love the pantry lady. She's sweet, she's thorough, she's friendly, and she smells amazing. I know that sounds weird, but really, she smells phenomenal, as if she takes a bath every 5 minutes.

I wish I could converse with her more, but she doesn't speak much English and I don't speak much Malay and so everyday conversations with PantryLady centre around painfully obvious statements. 

For example: 

NiceSmelling PantryLady: Hello, sister! You come work today! 
Me: ...YES! (I make up for the lack of things to say with almost explosive enthusiasm)

NSPL, as I reach for the Chinese tea bag container: Oh sister! You drink this one!
Me: ... YES!

NSPL, wiping a cupboard: Aunty wipe this one!
Me: ...OKAY!

:\

In the end I smile very brightly after my one-worded answer hoping she won't think I'm rude. I wouldn't be surprised if she knows me as the nutter "sister" who drinks Chinese tea and smiles like a madwoman on a caffeine high. 

...YES!

No comments: