Friday, January 20, 2012

Happy Dong Chiang Days, everybody.

Taken while walking along Chinatown one evening, waiting for a friend to show up.
 
I'm trying to rediscover the joys of CNY. It isn't too bad, really, if you're there just to soak up the atmosphere and don't actually need to buy anything. 

Fairy lights on the trees, lanterns lining the street, loud auctions going on in the square and people peddling everything from embroidered clogs to huge, succulent pomelos. Made me smile. 

I have to admit, CNY has been getting less terrible in recent years. I expect this year things will be even better with my brother back from the states. Hopefully the questions will move from asking me "so when are you getting married?" to asking my brother "so when are you two having children?" Muaha.  

Oh, and one of my mates came up with the best answer to the most hated when-are-you-getting-married-so-I-don't-have-to-give-you-angpow-anymore question: "I'm getting married soon. It's going to be the most expensive wedding ever. You better save up."

Brilliant. I think I might use it.

No comments: